Rummy is a game of skill that requires a strong winning strategy, and one crucial means to do that is by correctly identifying the skill level of your opponent. This can also be a key factor in deciding whether you need to drop or continue with the game. So, if you are an amateur and your opponents are professional rummy players, your ability to win the game is much less than if you play with people with your skill level. So, it’s smarter to drop the game than lose it. Though we love challenges and must keep testing ourselves, we do not wish to lose money one game after the other. After all, this may affect our confidence and dissuade us from playing any further games..
It’s easier to detect the skill level of your opponents when playing offline, because you know them and are accustomed to their gameplay. But, what if you are playing online with a complete stranger? Well, there are ways to identify the skillset and determine the level of the players even if you are playing rummy online.
Here are a few pointers that will give you cues on the skill set of your opponents:
Professional Seasoned Rummy Player
- Such an opponent will tend to focus on his/her own rummy cards, but learn and predict about the cards that others have. He/she does this by closely monitoring the cards others pick and discard.
- The chances of his discarding a card that you desire is extremely low.
- The player is trying to get rid of high ranking cards at the earliest.
- Knows how to use the Joker card. This is the trickiest card, and those who know how to use it, are definitely not novices.
Mid to Beginner Level
- Such an opponent will tend to focus mainly on his/her own cards, and not make efforts to predict the cards that others have. He/she won’t be closely monitoring the cards others pick and discard.
- Discards and picks cards without trying to figure out what cards others hold.
- The chances of his discarding a card that you desire is often higher.
- Tries to get rid of high ranking cards in no particular order.
- Does not know how to play the Joker card to his/her advantage.
Though these are some amazing points to help deduce the skill level of your opponents, please note that even a professional seasoned rummy player slips once in a while. Also, rummy is a game of intense concentration and a tired and fatigued mind can often lead to unwise moves being played at the opponents’ end.
Hope this list helps and happy gaming!